Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu February 5, 2009
Major Disaster Declaration
By Carrie Pond
Washington, D.C – President Barack Obama today issued a major disaster declaration for Kentucky in the wake of last week's deadly ice storms, ordering federal aid to supplement local recovery efforts. Governor Steve Beshear sought the major disaster status earlier this week. The storm has been blamed for 27 deaths statewide. Beshear said such a declaration would open the state to immediate federal financial assistance in the wake of the devastating ice storm, which cut power to more than three-fourths of a million homes and businesses, a state record.