Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu February 5, 2009
Major Disaster Declaration
By Carrie Pond
Washington, D.C – President Barack Obama today issued a major disaster declaration for Kentucky in the wake of last week's deadly ice storms, ordering federal aid to supplement local recovery efforts. Governor Steve Beshear sought the major disaster status earlier this week. The storm has been blamed for 27 deaths statewide. Beshear said such a declaration would open the state to immediate federal financial assistance in the wake of the devastating ice storm, which cut power to more than three-fourths of a million homes and businesses, a state record.