Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
Fri January 22, 2010
Maiden Alley Cinema presents Nine, starring Daniel Day Lewis
By Todd Hatton
Paducah, KY – Nine is the movie adaptation of the 1982 Tony Award-winning musical that starred Raul Julia and featured Antonio Banderas in its 2003 revival. This time, Daniel Day Lewis plays Italian film director Guido Contini, who's looking for inspiration and harmony in his professional and private lives. Lewis heads up an all-star cast: Dame Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, and Kate Hudson among them. Helming Nine is director Rob Marshall, who scored an Oscar nomination with Chicago. Larry Thomas and Todd Hatton talk about Nine, playing at Paducah's Maiden Alley Cinema this week.
"NINE" is a vibrant and provocative musical that follows the life of world famous film director Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis) as he reaches a creative and personal crisis of epic proportion, while balancing the numerous women in his life including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penelope Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his confidant and costume designer (Judi Dench), an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson), the whore from his youth (Fergie) and his mother (Sophia Loren). The film is directed by Rob Marshall (CHICAGO).
The original 1982 Broadway production of "NINE," with music and lyrics by Maury Yeston, won five Tony Awards including Best Musical.