Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue August 27, 2013
Madigan IL Pension Fix Would Save Less Than Estimated
The estimated savings on a pension proposal backed by Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan is nearly $25 billion less than originally thought. That's because the Teachers Retirement System — one of Illinois' five pension systems — says it made a mistake in its calculations. The change was outlined yesterday in a letter to the panel tasked with solving Illinois' nearly $100 billion pension crisis.
Madigan's plan involves across-the-board cuts in benefits. It was originally touted to save Illinois $187 billion over 30 years. However, the new estimate is closer to $163 billion. A Union backed plan from Senate President John Cullerton was estimated to save roughly $47 billion over the same timeframe.