Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Fri May 4, 2012
Low Water Levels at Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake
Lake Barkley water levels are at a record low for this time of year. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers says the lake is at just over 356 feet, almost three feet below normal. The low levels are due to a lack of rainfall in the latter part of March and all of April. The Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority continue to conserve and store water in an attempt to reach summer pool, around 359 feet. But without more rain, it is unlikely that either Barkley or Kentucky Lake will reach summer pool anytime soon. The Corps of Engineers reminds boaters of the potential hazards associated with low water levels, and encourages everyone on the lakes to boat safely.