Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Fri August 2, 2013
Local West KY Calls To Break In 10-digit Dialing
Local telephone calls in western Kentucky will soon require dialing 10 digits, but customers will have a six-month period to get used to the change, starting Saturday. The Public Service Commission says phone customers can use either seven or 10 digits when making calls in area code 270 until Feb. 1, when 10-digit dialing becomes mandatory.
The PSC created area code 364 last December to accommodate the need for more telephone numbers in the 270 area. It is the first "overlay" code to be created in Kentucky. Customers who already have a 270 area code will keep it, and the PSC says the first numbers using area code 364 may be assigned beginning March 3.