Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Fri August 2, 2013
Local West KY Calls To Break In 10-digit Dialing
Local telephone calls in western Kentucky will soon require dialing 10 digits, but customers will have a six-month period to get used to the change, starting Saturday. The Public Service Commission says phone customers can use either seven or 10 digits when making calls in area code 270 until Feb. 1, when 10-digit dialing becomes mandatory.
The PSC created area code 364 last December to accommodate the need for more telephone numbers in the 270 area. It is the first "overlay" code to be created in Kentucky. Customers who already have a 270 area code will keep it, and the PSC says the first numbers using area code 364 may be assigned beginning March 3.