Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu November 27, 2008
Local Food Thanksgiving
By Charlie Compton
Bowling Green, KY – This Thanksgiving, many Kentuckians want more local food offered at grocery stores. That's according to a survey conducted by a University of Kentucky rural sociology class. Interviews with consumers at five Lexington food retail markets showed people were universally aware of food issues. Keiko Tanaka is an Associate Professor in the U-K College of Agriculture.
Everybody we my students talked to have some concerns about food issue. Doesn't matter what it may be, it may be food safety, it may be the affordability. But most of the people by and large are very much concerned about food issues.
Of those interviewed at the two farmers' markets, 48-percent say they want to support local growers. People interviewed at a local Wal-Mart say they shop there because of affordability and convenience.