Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
2012 General Assembly
Tue March 27, 2012
Lawmakers Head into Final Legislative Week
The last full week of this year's legislative session in Kentucky began yesterday with negotiations over the state budget. House and Senate leaders started talks yesterday morning, breaking only for committee and floor duties, and continued negotiations well into the night. Both chambers have approved slightly different versions of the state budget for the next two years. Lawmakers are now reviewing those differences line by line, looking for potential compromises. The General Assembly has until late Wednesday to hatch a compromise. If negotiations go beyond that time, a budget cannot be passed by Friday and lawmakers will be unable to override any gubernatorial vetoes.