Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Thu September 19, 2013
Latin Roots: The Evolution Of Balada
Originally published on Wed October 16, 2013 3:53 pm
On Thursday's installment of World Cafe's Latin Roots series, Ernesto Lechner — co-host of the radio show The Latin Alternative — dives into balada, a romantic style of Latin music. Lechner starts by playing a couple of examples of the style from the late 1960s, when authentic balada drew from jazz and even the Brazilian genre of bossa nova. We'll also hear a modern rendition of the style from Babasónicos of Argentina. What we won't hear is the '80s synth-drenched version of the form — and our guest will explain why.
Listen to Ernesto Lechner's essential balada playlist on Spotify.
Latin Roots on World Cafe is made possible by a grant from The Wyncote Foundation.