Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue November 26, 2013
LATA Notifies Employees of December Layoffs at PGDP Site
The company federally-contracted to clean up the site of the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant notified 91 workers of layoffs Monday.
LATA Environmental Services of Kentucky notified 79 union workers from the United Steelworkers Local 550, as well as 12 salaried workers.
LATA spokesman Joe Walker says there are no plans for additional layoffs at this time.
“Everything of course is contingent on how much funding we get, whether we get a budget for next year or whether we have to continue in a continuing resolution,” Walker said.
In May, LATA notified employees of up to 145 impending layoffs, but those were forestalled through the end of fiscal year 2013.
The layoffs, which come from the federal sequester and a lack of funding from the U.S. Department of Energy, are unrelated to those associated with former United States Enrichment Corporation employees at the PGDP site.
LATA Kentucky currently employees 340 people. LATA began a five-year, $285 million contract at the site in November 2010, with 650 employees.
The layoffs take effect Dec. 26.