Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu January 3, 2013
KYTC Files Claim In Bridge Lawsuit
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has filed a claim in Federal Court for damages in the amount of 7.1 million dollars against Foss Maritime for its role in the collapse of the Eggner’s Ferry Bridge. Foss Maritime owns the ship Delta Mariner, which struck the bridge at Kentucky Lake last January. KTC spokesperson Chuck Wolfe says the claim is a response to Foss Maritime’s federal lawsuit seeking to remove any liability from the collision.
“We intend to keep pursuing this," Wolfe said. "We will fully prosecute this claim to get the taxpayers reimbursed for what they had to spend to get the bridge repaired through no fault of their own.”
The transportation cabinet’s claim is the largest among more than $7.8 million in damages sought by western Kentucky businesses and residents.
Under maritime law Foss can ask a judge to rule on the extent of liability and to halt all other lawsuits and legal proceedings while that determination is made.