Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu January 3, 2013
KYTC Files Claim In Bridge Lawsuit
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has filed a claim in Federal Court for damages in the amount of 7.1 million dollars against Foss Maritime for its role in the collapse of the Eggner’s Ferry Bridge. Foss Maritime owns the ship Delta Mariner, which struck the bridge at Kentucky Lake last January. KTC spokesperson Chuck Wolfe says the claim is a response to Foss Maritime’s federal lawsuit seeking to remove any liability from the collision.
“We intend to keep pursuing this," Wolfe said. "We will fully prosecute this claim to get the taxpayers reimbursed for what they had to spend to get the bridge repaired through no fault of their own.”
The transportation cabinet’s claim is the largest among more than $7.8 million in damages sought by western Kentucky businesses and residents.
Under maritime law Foss can ask a judge to rule on the extent of liability and to halt all other lawsuits and legal proceedings while that determination is made.