Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon December 8, 2008
KY Superintendents to Meet
By Carrie Pond
Louisville, KY – Kentucky school superintendents hope to weather tough economic times without laying off classified employees, or staff in non-teaching positions. Over 170 superintendents meet in Louisville this week for their annual conference. Association Director Wilson Sears says a proposed four percent cut in state funding would hit many school districts hard.
"If school districts are required to reduce this year's budget by four percent I suspect that there would be some 30 to 50 school districts in the state that would fall below two percent contingency or in fact go into deficit this is very very serious." Sears says the Kentucky Association of School Superintendents hasn't taken a position on tax increases. He says raising revenue from discretionary behaviors like smoking or gambling deserves consideration.