Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Tue September 18, 2012
KY summer reading winners promote college savings
September is College Savings Month in the Commonwealth, and the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority is observing the occasion by starting eight children on the road to college savings by opening accounts for them with initial $1,000 deposits.
The children, whose names haven’t been released, are the winners of a summer reading program sponsored by the KHEAA and the state Department for Library and Archives. They’ll be honored at a ceremony in Frankfort in the Capitol Rotunda. The libraries where the children borrowed the books will also be winners, with each receiving $500.