Most Active Stories
- Winter Storm: KYEM Upgrades Emergency Activation Level, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Tue September 18, 2012
KY summer reading winners promote college savings
September is College Savings Month in the Commonwealth, and the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority is observing the occasion by starting eight children on the road to college savings by opening accounts for them with initial $1,000 deposits.
The children, whose names haven’t been released, are the winners of a summer reading program sponsored by the KHEAA and the state Department for Library and Archives. They’ll be honored at a ceremony in Frankfort in the Capitol Rotunda. The libraries where the children borrowed the books will also be winners, with each receiving $500.