Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Thu January 14, 2010
KY Senate Panel Passes Nuclear Power Bill
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Lawmakers will again consider lifting a moratorium on construction of nuclear power plants in the Commonwealth. The Senate Natural Resources and Energy Committee approved legislation Wednesday that would reverse a 1984 law barring construction of nuclear plants in Kentucky until a permanent waste storage facility is in place. The measure now goes to the full Senate for consideration.
Independent state Senator Bob Leeper of Paducah has unsuccessfully pushed the legislation for the past three years as a rank-and-file lawmaker. His promotion last year to chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee could improve his chances of getting the bill signed into law.