Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Thu January 14, 2010
KY Senate Panel Passes Nuclear Power Bill
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Lawmakers will again consider lifting a moratorium on construction of nuclear power plants in the Commonwealth. The Senate Natural Resources and Energy Committee approved legislation Wednesday that would reverse a 1984 law barring construction of nuclear plants in Kentucky until a permanent waste storage facility is in place. The measure now goes to the full Senate for consideration.
Independent state Senator Bob Leeper of Paducah has unsuccessfully pushed the legislation for the past three years as a rank-and-file lawmaker. His promotion last year to chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee could improve his chances of getting the bill signed into law.