Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue December 24, 2013
KY Sees Insurance Rush Ahead of Monday Deadline
Kentucky has seen a surge in sign-ups for Medicaid and medical insurance as Monday’s deadline approached for those who want coverage to begin next week. Kentucky Health Benefit Exchange spokeswoman Gwenda Bond says about 100,000 people have signed up, most of them on Medicaid. Bond says enrollment has gone from about 1,000 to 3,000 people a day in the past week.
More than half a million have conducted pre-screenings to determine their eligibility for discounts, government subsidies or Medicaid coverage through Kentucky's online insurance marketplace. Bond says at last count, more than 72 thousand people enrolled in Medicaid and almost 25 thousand enrolled in health insurance coverage. All but about 8,000 of those will receive premium assistance.