Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue December 24, 2013
KY Sees Insurance Rush Ahead of Monday Deadline
Kentucky has seen a surge in sign-ups for Medicaid and medical insurance as Monday’s deadline approached for those who want coverage to begin next week. Kentucky Health Benefit Exchange spokeswoman Gwenda Bond says about 100,000 people have signed up, most of them on Medicaid. Bond says enrollment has gone from about 1,000 to 3,000 people a day in the past week.
More than half a million have conducted pre-screenings to determine their eligibility for discounts, government subsidies or Medicaid coverage through Kentucky's online insurance marketplace. Bond says at last count, more than 72 thousand people enrolled in Medicaid and almost 25 thousand enrolled in health insurance coverage. All but about 8,000 of those will receive premium assistance.