Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed May 29, 2013
KY Lawmakers Don't Want Redistricting Done By Judges
House Republicans who would take a shellacking under a redistricting plan proposed by Democrats still insist they don't want federal judges to redraw legislative boundaries in Kentucky. The Democratic majority in the House has a redistricting proposal ready that could force 11 House Republicans to run against each other next year. And Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear says he plans to call lawmakers to Frankfort for a special legislative session later this year to deal with the issue.
State Rep. Ben Waide of Madisonville is one of the Republicans who would be forced to run against a GOP colleague to keep his seat under the House Democrats' proposal. Yet Waide is among GOP lawmakers who say the Legislature shouldn't relinquish its duty to redraw political boundaries to the court system.