Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Mon August 27, 2012
KY Journalism Hall of Fame: "Doc" McGaughey Reflects on Teaching, Radio
Earlier this year, the Kentucky Journalism Hall of Fame inducted three west Kentuckians to the ranks of other great Kentucky Journalists: D.J. Everett of WKDZ/WHVO radio in Cadiz, Chip Hutcheson, publisher of The Times Leader and Murray State University professor emeritus Dr. Robert McGaughey. Today we begin a series of conversations with these gentlemen, today we hear from Dr. Robert Mcgaughey better known as “Doc.” Doc retired in 1997 after 30 years with the Journalism and Mass Communications department, 23 years of which he spent as department chair. He taught part time at Murray State until 2010.
McGaughey has won numerous awards for his teaching, and is also a veteran broadcaster. On WKMS airwaves, he’s known for his two-man standup act with colleague and friend, Bob Valentine. Kate Lochte spoke with McGaughey about his career and his take on journalism today.