Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Thu July 5, 2012
KY High schools adding new sport: bass fishing
Kentucky is gearing up for its first season of high school bass fishing. Next spring, a skillful flick of the wrist for casting a line or reeling in a big one could land students on school teams competing for the state championship.
Kentucky High School Athletic Association officials say it may not generate the enthusiasm given to football or basketball, but they think they've got a keeper in bass fishing as a sanctioned sport. KHSAA officials say adding bass fishing will give students a chance to turn a popular pastime into a school activity. Kentucky becomes the second state to add bass fishing as a high school sport, after Illinois.