Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue June 2, 2009
KY Groups Address Teen Suicide
By Stu Johnson
Frankfort, KY – Suicide ranks as the second leading cause of death for Kentucky teenagers. State and non-profit child advocacy groups have developed an educational toolkit in an effort to prevent youth suicides. KPR's Stu Johnson reports.
The signs of suicide' toolkit aims to teach students how to address issues related to depression and identify symptoms within themselves or their friends. The kit is available for middle and high schools officials. Karen Napier with Kentucky Child Now says the idea is to help teens organize a safety net around them. ..
The kit is designed to help the teen put these processes in place so that if that child does experience something they've got people to step in right away.
Teenagers are particularly tuned into technology, like the Internet and text messaging. Online message boards and cell phones can serve as ways to bully other teens, Napier says.