Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon October 12, 2009
KY Fatality Reminders
By Rick Howlett
Frankfort, KY – Many Kentucky motorists will see a sobering safety reminder during their travels starting tomorrow. The state Office of Highway Safety will begin posting highway fatality totals on more than 50 electronic message boards along interstates and parkways across Kentucky. Spokesperson Jeff Bibb says it comes as Kentucky highway deaths are on the increase after three straight years of declines.
"What we're trying to do is just let people know i think by adding real life numbers to these things, that people will realize that this is something that is causing a big problem in our commonwealth."
Bibb says more than half of those killed in traffic crashes this year were not buckled up and 22 percent of the deaths involved alcohol.