Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Mon October 12, 2009
KY Fatality Reminders
By Rick Howlett
Frankfort, KY – Many Kentucky motorists will see a sobering safety reminder during their travels starting tomorrow. The state Office of Highway Safety will begin posting highway fatality totals on more than 50 electronic message boards along interstates and parkways across Kentucky. Spokesperson Jeff Bibb says it comes as Kentucky highway deaths are on the increase after three straight years of declines.
"What we're trying to do is just let people know i think by adding real life numbers to these things, that people will realize that this is something that is causing a big problem in our commonwealth."
Bibb says more than half of those killed in traffic crashes this year were not buckled up and 22 percent of the deaths involved alcohol.