Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Wed June 12, 2013
Ky. Education and Workforce Development Secretary to Retire
Gov. Steve Beshear announced Wednesday that Education and Workforce Development Cabinet Secretary Joseph U. Meyer will retire June 30 after more than 30 years of public service.
Under Meyer’s direction, the Education and Workforce Development Cabinet has played critical roles in modernizing the unemployment insurance system in the commonwealth, establishing the Early Childhood Advisory Council, merging the state’s Career and Technical Education systems and creating the Kentucky Center for Education and Workforce Statistics.
The Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet coordinates P-20 learning programs and manages and supports training and employment functions in the Department of Workforce Investment. The cabinet employs nearly 3,000 full and part-time workers with an annual budget of $2.5 billion.