Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Wed June 12, 2013
Ky. Education and Workforce Development Secretary to Retire
Gov. Steve Beshear announced Wednesday that Education and Workforce Development Cabinet Secretary Joseph U. Meyer will retire June 30 after more than 30 years of public service.
Under Meyer’s direction, the Education and Workforce Development Cabinet has played critical roles in modernizing the unemployment insurance system in the commonwealth, establishing the Early Childhood Advisory Council, merging the state’s Career and Technical Education systems and creating the Kentucky Center for Education and Workforce Statistics.
The Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet coordinates P-20 learning programs and manages and supports training and employment functions in the Department of Workforce Investment. The cabinet employs nearly 3,000 full and part-time workers with an annual budget of $2.5 billion.