Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Fri January 3, 2014
KY DoW Offers Advice For Freezing Water
The Kentucky Division of Water wants residents to get through the freezing weather forecast for the next several days without having their pipes burst and has some advice.
Water inside pipes expands when it freezes and can cause pipes to rupture, allowing water to escape and cause serious damage.
The Division of Water says pipes in attics, crawl spaces and outside walls are vulnerable, especially if openings let in outside air.
To prevent freezing, wrap hot and cold water pipes in insulation or layers of newspaper and cover the newspaper with plastic to keep moisture out.
Run a trickle of water from a cold faucet farthest from the water meter or one that has frozen before. Also, open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to let warm air circulate around pipes.