Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue August 25, 2009
KY Communities Get $490,000 in Grants
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky Division of Forestry has provided almost half a million dollars in grants to volunteer fire departments across the state. The funding came from the U.S. Forest Service to help communities guard against forest fires. The Calloway, Kuttawa, La Center, and Princeton volunteer fire departments are among those receiving funds. The money is intended to help the departments pay for training and equipment and to decrease the risks to homes in fire-prone areas.
Fire departments can use the money to purchase pumps, hoses, tanks, fire shelters, even protective gloves for use in fighting forest fires in inhabited areas.