Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Wed March 13, 2013
KY Abuse Oversight Panel Gets Backing
A Kentucky panel that investigates the deaths and near deaths of children in abuse and neglect cases now has the official backing of the General Assembly. Governor Steve Beshear created the panel last year by executive order.
But the Legislature yesterday passed a bill that would establish the panel under law as well as its authority to access records. Beshear is expected to the sign the bill, having called for it in this year's State of the Commonwealth speech. The panel just recently began to review cases. But the files it has reviewed are heavily redacted, leading panel members to ask for more access to information.