Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Wed March 13, 2013
KY Abuse Oversight Panel Gets Backing
A Kentucky panel that investigates the deaths and near deaths of children in abuse and neglect cases now has the official backing of the General Assembly. Governor Steve Beshear created the panel last year by executive order.
But the Legislature yesterday passed a bill that would establish the panel under law as well as its authority to access records. Beshear is expected to the sign the bill, having called for it in this year's State of the Commonwealth speech. The panel just recently began to review cases. But the files it has reviewed are heavily redacted, leading panel members to ask for more access to information.