Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Wed March 13, 2013
KY Abuse Oversight Panel Gets Backing
A Kentucky panel that investigates the deaths and near deaths of children in abuse and neglect cases now has the official backing of the General Assembly. Governor Steve Beshear created the panel last year by executive order.
But the Legislature yesterday passed a bill that would establish the panel under law as well as its authority to access records. Beshear is expected to the sign the bill, having called for it in this year's State of the Commonwealth speech. The panel just recently began to review cases. But the files it has reviewed are heavily redacted, leading panel members to ask for more access to information.