Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Wed February 12, 2014
KSP's Brewer Highlights Budget Woes
FRANKFORT — Kentucky's top state trooper says his agency is suffering from a shortage in staff.
Kentucky State Police Commissioner Rodney Brewer told a state House committee that years of flatlining budgets and a proposed 2.5 percent cut under Gov. Steve Beshear’s latest spending plan have put a squeeze on the agency.
Brewer says expenses in employee retirement, healthcare costs and fleet maintenance have led to layoffs.
“It caused us toward the end of last fiscal year to start making some reductions, and I was forced with the very difficult decision to lay off those trooper-Rs, which was extremely painful," says Brewer, referring to this class of trooper.
Brewer says nearly 600 of almost 900 troopers make less than $50,000 per year.