Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon December 3, 2012
KLC Plans to Recommend Simplifying City Classification System
Kentucky’s system for classifying its cities is antiquated, illogical and should be changed. That’s the recommendation of a Kentucky League of Cities task force that’s been looking into the issue for the past two years. Midway mayor Tom Bozarth chairs the panel. He says the current structure of six classifications is like a caste system that restricts home rule in many cities.
Bozarth says the KLC is recommending the commonwealth’s six classifications be consolidated and simplified. Kentucky’s cities need greater control over revenue options, public safety and the sale of alcohol. The recommendations will also ask that changing city classification no longer require legislative approval.