Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon November 18, 2013
Kid Friendly HONK! Includes Double Entendre for Parents
Most of us know Hans Christian Anderson’s fairytale The Ugly Duckling, in which a less than attractive duck undergoes ridicule and teasing because of his looks. But, by the end of the story the duck has matured into a beautiful swan. This fairytale was adapted into a musical in the early 1990’s called HONK!.
The play was penned by the George Stiles (music) and Anthony Drewe (lyrics). Stiles and Drewe also produced the stage musicals Mary Poppins and Peter Pan. In 2000 HONK! won the Olivier Award for Best New Musical.
Murray State University Students are putting on this musical November 22-24. Stage Director Lissa Graham Schneider says it is one of the hardest musicals she’s produced. Musical Director Randall Black says the music is, “absolutely gorgeous.” Conductor Todd Hill says the lyrics are hilarious and the composition is “really well done.” Chad Lampe’s conversation with Graham-Schneider, Black and Hill is here.
The production includes 7:30 p.m. shows Thurs-Sat and a 2:30 p.m. Sunday matinee. Ticket information is available here.