Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
High School Sports
Wed February 22, 2012
KHSAA Adds Bass Fishing as Varsity Sport
Kentucky is the second state in the nation to adopt Bass Fishing as a varsity high school sport. Illinois was the first. The Kentucky High School Athletics Association (KHSAA) reports the inaugural season will begin February 2013 and end in April, culminating in a state championship at the Land between the lakes. KHSAA Sports Information Officer Elden May says there are many entities which are looking to assist in funding.
"We’re hoping to work with our partners on that, which is FLW and the Youth Bass Federation," Elden said. "There’s a lot of great information that they have on some of their websites that we’re directing our member schools to as far as how to get their team up and running and what sort of resources they’re going to need. "
KHSAA officials say they could see competitions between Illinois and Kentucky schools as the Commonwealth’s program grows