Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Thu October 18, 2012
Kentucky's September Jobless Rate Dips Slightly
Kentucky is reporting a slight decline in its jobless rate in September despite a major loss of manufacturing jobs. The Office of Employment and Training released new unemployment figures today showing the jobless rate at 8.4 percent. That's down from 8.5 percent in August. The manufacturing sector loss 2,000 jobs in September.
Labor market analyst Manoj Shanker said that's largely due to the outsourcing of some factory jobs, including clerical and custodial services, to temporary workers. He says that was offset by gains in trade, transportation and utilities.