Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon July 23, 2012
Kentucky Unemployment Compensation System 2011 Report
Kentucky businesses that allege the state’s unemployment compensation system is weighted against them may be surprised by the actual figures from 2011.
That’s what the Secretary of Kentucky's Education and Workforce Development Cabinet Joe Meyer told a legislative panel in Frankfort last week. He says there were 173,000 jobless claims filed in 2011 and 83,000 were challenged by employers.
"Folks in the business community regularly feel that the appeals process is tilted against them. Big picture, I think our system is pretty balanced and it's evenly handled. I know there are perceptions and public relations issues that are out there. But these are the actual data."
Meyer testified before the Interim Joint Committee on labor and industry.