Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Mon July 23, 2012
Kentucky Unemployment Compensation System 2011 Report
Kentucky businesses that allege the state’s unemployment compensation system is weighted against them may be surprised by the actual figures from 2011.
That’s what the Secretary of Kentucky's Education and Workforce Development Cabinet Joe Meyer told a legislative panel in Frankfort last week. He says there were 173,000 jobless claims filed in 2011 and 83,000 were challenged by employers.
"Folks in the business community regularly feel that the appeals process is tilted against them. Big picture, I think our system is pretty balanced and it's evenly handled. I know there are perceptions and public relations issues that are out there. But these are the actual data."
Meyer testified before the Interim Joint Committee on labor and industry.