Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon July 23, 2012
Kentucky Unemployment Compensation System 2011 Report
Kentucky businesses that allege the state’s unemployment compensation system is weighted against them may be surprised by the actual figures from 2011.
That’s what the Secretary of Kentucky's Education and Workforce Development Cabinet Joe Meyer told a legislative panel in Frankfort last week. He says there were 173,000 jobless claims filed in 2011 and 83,000 were challenged by employers.
"Folks in the business community regularly feel that the appeals process is tilted against them. Big picture, I think our system is pretty balanced and it's evenly handled. I know there are perceptions and public relations issues that are out there. But these are the actual data."
Meyer testified before the Interim Joint Committee on labor and industry.