Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Wed November 5, 2008
Kentucky Senate Race Results
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – It was a good night for incumbents in Kentucky Senate races Tuesday. Kentucky Public Radio's Tony McVeigh looks at some of the winners.
Senate Education committee chair Ken Winters of Murray turned back a comeback attempt by former Democratic congressman Carroll Hubbard. Senate Minority Whip Joey Pendleton of Hopkinsville withstood a strong challenge from Republican Tom Jones.
Georgetown Republican Senator Damon Thayer won another term, as did Louisville Democratic Senators Tim Shaughnessy, Perry Clark and Denise Harper Angel.
Also heading back to Frankfort are Republican Senator Robert Stivers of Manchester and Democratic Senator Walter "Doc" Blevins of Morehead.
Former representative Kathy Stein of Lexington will assume the Senate seat formerly held by Ernesto Scorsone, who's now a Fayette Circuit judge. And Greensburg Republican David Givens will fill the seat being vacated by former Senate budget chairman Richie Sanders, who did not seek re-election.