Most Active Stories
- Significant Accumulations of Snow and Ice Today, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Tue July 10, 2012
Kentucky Posts Slight Budget Surplus
For the second year in a row, the Kentucky state government has a small budget surplus.
The fiscal year closed with an extra $83 million in revenue from the general fund and an extra $31 million in the road fund. The surpluses are slight, and their use is limited to two areas. The first priority is emergency expenses, such as storm relief. Whatever remains after that will go into the rainy day fund, which was drained in recession years.