Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Wed April 24, 2013
Kentucky Poet Laureate to be Inducted
Kentucky's new poet laureate being inducted today in Frankfort as the state recognizes Kentucky Writers' Day.
Frank X. Walker and several of the state's past poet laureates will conduct poetry readings at the ceremony in the Capitol.
Walker is a Danville native who is known for coining the term "Affrilachia" to describe black culture in the multi-state Appalachian region. The Kentucky Arts Council says Walker at age 51 is both the youngest person to be named poet laureate in Kentucky and the first African-American.
Like poet laureates before him, Walker will spend a year promoting the literary arts through readings of his work at meetings, seminars and conferences.