Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Thu December 12, 2013
Kentucky Mayors to Discuss Local Option Tax
A forum of northern Kentucky mayors is exploring a proposed constitutional amendment that would give cities and counties in the Commonwealth the authority to impose local sales taxes.
The Kenton Mayors Group will offer information to elected officials who may ask the General Assembly to allow a vote on the constitutional change in November 2014.
Under current law, cities and counties are not allowed to impose sales taxes. But some officials say it's necessary to raise money for local projects when state funding is unavailable. So far, 37 states already allow for a local option tax.
2013 KY General Assembly