Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Thu December 12, 2013
Kentucky Mayors to Discuss Local Option Tax
A forum of northern Kentucky mayors is exploring a proposed constitutional amendment that would give cities and counties in the Commonwealth the authority to impose local sales taxes.
The Kenton Mayors Group will offer information to elected officials who may ask the General Assembly to allow a vote on the constitutional change in November 2014.
Under current law, cities and counties are not allowed to impose sales taxes. But some officials say it's necessary to raise money for local projects when state funding is unavailable. So far, 37 states already allow for a local option tax.
2013 KY General Assembly