Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Mon September 10, 2012
Kentucky courts budget strained
State spending on courthouse buildings is going up even as Kentucky's judicial system struggles to pay for day-to-day operations. Courthouses across the Commonwealth shut down September 4th for the second of three furlough days this year because of state budget cuts.
The Courier-Journal reports that state budgets show a boom in courthouse building spending from 1998 to 2008 has resulted in the doubling of costs for debt service and related costs for buildings. Kentucky is spending $122 million this fiscal year on debt service and related costs for buildings, double the $61 million spent in 2007.