Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Mon January 30, 2012
Ken Winters Will Not Seek Re-Election
By Shelly Baskin
Murray, KY – Kentucky's first district State Senator Ken Winters won't run for re-election. Winters has cited his wife's health as a primary reason for his decision to retire. He says he's most proud of the 2009 Senate Bill one college readiness initiative he sponsored. He says,
"Inspiring them to get involved in the AP and giving incentives for the teachers and the students to do well on those tests. And then to get college credit for it, and moms and dads celebrate that kind of accomplishment."
Winters was elected to the state senate in 2004 and was immediately named Education Committee Chair. He previously served as President of Campbellsville University for 11 years and spent 23 years at Murray State University before that. Winters is in Frankfort this afternoon in support of Trigg County Judge Executive Stan Humphries who is filing to run for the seat.