Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Tue January 6, 2009
KBOE Special Meeting
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky Board of Education holds a special meeting Wednesday to formally accept the resignation of state Education Commissioner Jon Draud. Draud announced last month that he'll step down for health reasons. Spokesperson Lisa Gross says the board will begin the search process for a new leader and may also appoint an interim commissioner.
"We do need someone here who can sort of serve as a guiding force for the agency
until a permanent replacement can be found."
Also on the agenda is discussion of the plan to reduce the education department's
operating costs by two percent, as part of Governor Steve Beshear's effort to close the state's budget deficit.