Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon July 9, 2012
Jury Selection Begins in Walker Retrial
Attorneys are selecting a jury in the trial of a western Kentucky man accused of starting a fatal fire at Murray State in the late 90’s.
Jerry Wayne Walker Junior faces arson, manslaughter and wanton endangerment charges for the 1998 Hester Hall fire that killed student Michael Minger. Walker was originally tried for murder in 2001 but the jury stalemated. State police revisited the case and brought new charges last year, more than a decade after Walker was originally charged. Walker was working as an assistant principal and minister at his church in Paducah when he was charged in September. His attorney says the trial should show that someone else is to blame for the fire. The trial was moved to Marshall County from Murray.