Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Sun March 8, 2009
Judge will rule in hearing
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – A judge says he will rule "in the next few days" on whether to dismiss a lawsuit that public defenders filed against the state. Officials with the Department of Public Advocacy are alleging they've been allotted inadequate funding to handle excessive case loads. Franklin County Circuit Judge Thomas Wingate took no action during a hearing this morning in which the DPA asked for permission to withdraw from cases. Wingate refused to grant the same request last summer. DPA spokesman Jessie Luscher distributed a statement on Friday saying when funding runs out in May that public defenders will "be unable to provide any representation whatsoever in any court."