Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed October 10, 2012
Judge Files Injunction to Keep Illinois Prisons Open
A southern Illinois judge has again barred Governor Pat Quinn from going forward with his plan to close two prisons. Circuit Judge Charles Cavaness cited safety concerns when he issued the injunction yesterday in Alexander County. It replaces a temporary restraining order he issued last month and requires the prisons to remain open while the administration and a union go through arbitration.
The injunction covers Quinn's plan to close prisons at Dwight and Tamms, as well as three halfway houses and two youth prisons. Aides say the Democratic governor plans to appeal the judge's decision. Legislators provided money to keep the facilities open, but Quinn vetoed the funds. He says they should be spent on education.