Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Murray Holds Special Ties for Likely Next Host of 'A Prairie Home Companion'
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- KSP: Mennonite Man Killed in Todd County Home Invasion
- BOOM: 19 Places to See Fireworks this Independence Day Weekend
Thu May 30, 2013
Joy Thomas on Painting Professional Portraits
Murray-based portrait artist Joy Thomas has captured the likeness of members of the community and leaders in government and business. Some of her commissions include the official portrait of Secretary of the US Navy, Richard Danzig; New York Jets owner, Robert Wood Johnson; and recently, John E. Bryson, the 37th US Secretary of Commerce. Her work has been on exhibit across the country, featured in magazines, and has won several awards, including first place in "The Best Paintings of 2000" competition by The Artist's Magazine. In 2006, she published The Art of Portrait Drawing, which is available on Amazon. She came to our studio to speak with Kate Lochte on Sounds Good about her work.