Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Fri December 19, 2008
Jon Draud Resigns
By Stu Johnson
Frankfort – A year after his hiring, Kentucky Education Commissioner Jon Draud is resigning due to health reasons. The former northern Kentucky legislator suffered a stroke in September. He says his recovery has gone well, but he's only been able to work three days a week.
"I haven't been able to drive a lot and only recently have I been able to drive a car and this job requires a lot of driving a lot of energy too, and uh, there's a lot of stress associated with it and uh I just really my wife and children convinced me I need to focus on my recovery."
Commissioner Draud was hired in November 2007, after the board's first choice, Illinois educator Barbara Irwin, quickly resigned after questions arose about her qualifications.