Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri December 19, 2008
Jon Draud Resigns
By Stu Johnson
Frankfort – A year after his hiring, Kentucky Education Commissioner Jon Draud is resigning due to health reasons. The former northern Kentucky legislator suffered a stroke in September. He says his recovery has gone well, but he's only been able to work three days a week.
"I haven't been able to drive a lot and only recently have I been able to drive a car and this job requires a lot of driving a lot of energy too, and uh, there's a lot of stress associated with it and uh I just really my wife and children convinced me I need to focus on my recovery."
Commissioner Draud was hired in November 2007, after the board's first choice, Illinois educator Barbara Irwin, quickly resigned after questions arose about her qualifications.