Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
Fri December 19, 2008
Jon Draud Resigns
By Stu Johnson
Frankfort – A year after his hiring, Kentucky Education Commissioner Jon Draud is resigning due to health reasons. The former northern Kentucky legislator suffered a stroke in September. He says his recovery has gone well, but he's only been able to work three days a week.
"I haven't been able to drive a lot and only recently have I been able to drive a car and this job requires a lot of driving a lot of energy too, and uh, there's a lot of stress associated with it and uh I just really my wife and children convinced me I need to focus on my recovery."
Commissioner Draud was hired in November 2007, after the board's first choice, Illinois educator Barbara Irwin, quickly resigned after questions arose about her qualifications.