Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Thu January 30, 2014
Jesse Stuart Papers Return to Murray State Archives
Murray State's Jesse Stuart Collection contains the published works of southern Appalachia novelist and author Jesse Hilton Stuart. The collection includes numerous first editions, journals, foreign language editions, paperbacks, and signed copies. Stuart donated the collection to the university in 1961. MSU's Dean of Libraries Dr. Adam Murray joined Kate in the studio to talk about the papers' return from Morehead State University.
"Jess Stuart was Kentucky's poet laureate; he apparently published over 2,000 poems, more than 60 books, a large number of short stories, and so he had a tremendous impact as a literary figure in Kentucky. His works and his background really led him to have a large impact on public education in Kentucky, as well."
The fact that Murray State's Pogue Library now possesses the Jesse Stuart Collection is an honor because of the rich history in Jesse Stuart's life story and written word. Dr. Adam Murray describes to Kate just how prestigious this honor is on Sounds Good.