Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed June 24, 2009
Irvin S. Cobb's Birthday
By Todd Hatton
Paducah, KY – Today is the 133rd birthday of humorist, author, and journalist Irvin Shrewsbury Cobb, born in Paducah in 1876. For the first half of the 20th century, Cobb was one of the most well-known personalities in America; he wrote a nationally-syndicated column, was friends with legendary director John Ford and fellow humorist Will Rogers, and even hosted the 6th Academy Awards. During World War One, he was the first correspondent to report from behind German lines. But Cobb never forgot Paducah, and some of his greatest works look back to the place where he grew up. Todd Hatton has this remembrance of Irvin S. Cobb.