Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Wed April 15, 2009
Interim Commissioner Leaving
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky is losing its interim state Education Commissioner. Elaine Farris has accepted a job as superintendent of Clark County Public Schools. She begins her new duties July 1st. That's one month before the Kentucky Board of Education hopes to hire a permanent commissioner. Lisa Gross of the education department says the search is still in the early stages.
"Right now the search firm is putting together an advertisement for the position. They are gathering information about the cost of placing that advertisement in various publications like newspapers, magazines, both in-state and out-of-state."
Gross says the state school board already has a retreat planned for May, at which the interim and permanent commissioner positions will be discussed. Former commissioner Jon Draud resigned February 1st for health reasons.