Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri July 10, 2009
Inmates' Lawsuit Funds Children
By Angela Hatton
Madisonville, KY – A victory in court for some Hopkins County inmates has turned into a windfall for local children. Inmates at the Hopkins County jail won a three-million-dollar judgment against the county last year in a class-action lawsuit claiming they were illegally strip searched. Yet the county has been able to divert some of the money from the inmates to its Child Support Unit. The Madisonville Messenger reports 19 inmates involved in the case had not made their required child support payments. The county has been able to recoup about 19-thousand dollars in delinquent funds so far to benefit the kids, with more hopefully on the way.