Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri July 10, 2009
Inmates' Lawsuit Funds Children
By Angela Hatton
Madisonville, KY – A victory in court for some Hopkins County inmates has turned into a windfall for local children. Inmates at the Hopkins County jail won a three-million-dollar judgment against the county last year in a class-action lawsuit claiming they were illegally strip searched. Yet the county has been able to divert some of the money from the inmates to its Child Support Unit. The Madisonville Messenger reports 19 inmates involved in the case had not made their required child support payments. The county has been able to recoup about 19-thousand dollars in delinquent funds so far to benefit the kids, with more hopefully on the way.