Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu September 6, 2012
Illinois treasurer has $1.6B in unclaimed property
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford is asking residents to go online and find out if they or their relatives can claim any of the $1.6 billion in unclaimed property being held by the state. Abandoned bank accounts, stocks, items in safe-deposit boxes and other unclaimed property are turned over to the treasurer’s office when the owners can't be found. The treasurer's I-Cash program attempts to return property to the rightful owners or their heirs. Last year, it returned more than $100 million worth of property.