Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Thu September 6, 2012
Illinois treasurer has $1.6B in unclaimed property
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford is asking residents to go online and find out if they or their relatives can claim any of the $1.6 billion in unclaimed property being held by the state. Abandoned bank accounts, stocks, items in safe-deposit boxes and other unclaimed property are turned over to the treasurer’s office when the owners can't be found. The treasurer's I-Cash program attempts to return property to the rightful owners or their heirs. Last year, it returned more than $100 million worth of property.