Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Thu September 6, 2012
Illinois treasurer has $1.6B in unclaimed property
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford is asking residents to go online and find out if they or their relatives can claim any of the $1.6 billion in unclaimed property being held by the state. Abandoned bank accounts, stocks, items in safe-deposit boxes and other unclaimed property are turned over to the treasurer’s office when the owners can't be found. The treasurer's I-Cash program attempts to return property to the rightful owners or their heirs. Last year, it returned more than $100 million worth of property.