Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon May 27, 2013
Illinois Speed Limit Bill Proceeds to Governor
A possible speed limit change on Illinois interstates may keep motorists from slowing down when they cross into the Land of Lincoln.
Both houses of the Illinois General Assembly have passed a bill that would raise the speed limit on interstate highways from 65 to 70 mph. Kentucky and Tennessee interstate speed limits are 70 mph in most non-metropolitan areas.
The bill awaits action by Gov. Pat Quinn, who said he was undecided on the matter last month. If Quinn vetoes the bill, the Senate can override him with a three-fifths majority vote.
More than 70 percent of state senators voted in favor of raising the speed limit last week.