Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu May 10, 2012
Illinois Senate Rejects Limits on Closing Facilities
The Illinois Senate has rejected a proposal to limit the governor's power to close prisons and other state facilities. The bill would have required legislative approval before a governor could shut down facilities.
It's a response to Governor Pat Quinn's plan to cut spending by closing prisons, halfway houses and mental institutions. The vote yesterday was 29-23, but the measure needed 30 votes to pass. Supporters say the Legislature should have a bigger role in decisions that can mean economic ruin for workers and communities. But opponents say it would be a mistake to tie the governor's hands when the state budget is in crisis.