Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu May 17, 2012
Illinois Senate Committee Passes Minimum Wage Bill
Illinois lawmakers are considering a plan to increase the state minimum wage and let it rise automatically in the future. A Senate Executive Committee approved the plan 9-5 yesterday, but even bill sponsor Senator Kimberly Lightford says more work is needed before it could become law.
The current minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25 per hour. The bill increases that by about 50 cents a year until it reaches $10.55 matching the buying power of the minimum wage back in 1968, when it was just $1.60 an hour. After that, it would go up by the cost of inflation each year. Opponents say the increase would force businesses to cut hours and employees.