Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue July 24, 2012
Illinois Sees Boost in Tourism
Illinois had a record number of visitors in 2011, with more than 93 million tourists. The state Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity said the state saw an 8.4 percent bump last year, bringing in over $31 billion for the state economy.
About 1.2 million of those tourists came from abroad. Officials attribute the boost to the tourism industry's recovery from the recession. Governor Pat Quinn said, "it's no surprise" Illinois has attracted so many tourists.